Monday, December 19, 2011

Ch..Ch..Ch..Changes... Yet again

So once again, I've changed my plan of attack. That said, I can for sure say this is the last time, because there is actual progress. No camera right now, so I can't post pics, but hopefully soon.

It all began on the Japan Modeling forum. Ulrich Abramowski started a small desktop loop layout based on the work of a Japanese modeler. The layout was composed of a series of micro modules built from plywood. As I watched Ulrich's progress, and visited the site of his inspiration, I decided that this was the way to go. As I currently had a loop of 145mm radius track, this seemed the best to base my dimensions around. I also designed a straight module at 260mm long. This was based on a 200mm piece of flex, a 60mm split in half to give a connection, and 15mm at each end for a 30mm connecting piece. I was just going to butt the ends together, but early experiments showed that the intermediate joiner piece was the way to go.

Next step was to figure out benchwork. I was going to use plywood, but decided after some thought to try an experiment in foamcore. A bit of research on the net showed that it would work reasonably well for the smaller modules I was planning, so I decided to give it a go. More details once I get pictures.

In the meantime, I'll post a quick trackplan showing the completed modules and the planned scenery for each. The one with the track off the edge is to meet with a planned station module.

No comments:

Post a Comment